There is risk inherent with having a website (potential hacking). Clients are strongly advised to take the following precautions to ensure the security of their website:
SECURE YOUR WEBSITE:
- Create unusual and very secure (10 digit) USER NAME and PASSWORDS on your site. (Most sites get hacked via weak passwords)
- Visit your site monthly to check and update plugins and software
- Give your staff or writers who write or edit your website EDITOR access only
- Do NOT send user names or passwords via email (not secure)
- On your pages/blog, hold all comments for moderation, because spam comments can get you blacklisted
- Disable comments on pages (these are not necessary)
- Close/delete the comments posted on older blogs
- Do NOT install plugins unless you absolutely need them
- Remove un-used themes and plugins
- Do NOT allow users to register for site: un-click the setting in GENERAL settings tab of your dashboard.
- BACKUP your website, and the database for your site regularly. You can use the “Backupbuddy” plugin that may be installed on your website’s dashboard. Or, see the tutorials provided for how to backup your site from catch8.com hosting service.
- REQUEST the Developer apply additional security precautions on your website (additional costs estimated $100-200 depending on the approach).
SECURE YOUR COMPUTER
- Scan your computer regularly for virus protection
- Be careful of sites you visit online
- Protect your home/office network with a VERY strong WIFI password
- Do NOT login to your site, or other websites with your passwords when you are on public WIFI (internet cafe, for example)